Thursday, February 12, 2009

Bend it Like Beckham

Hi!
I'm going to have to start updating this more frequently because whenever I come to write something I feel like I have a lot to say and can't remember it all...
here we go...
Friday night we went to this bar called Coffee Corner. Despite its deceiving name, it was actually pretty authentically Spanish. I didn't stay out too late Friday because I had to get up at the crack of dawn on Saturday to go to...Cordoba! woohoo! Cordoba was really cool. The bus ride was about 2 hours and the town was exactly what you think of when you think of cute little european towns. We visited the Mezquita and the Synagogue. It was a beautiful day and we had some free time to walk around after the tours so we went down to the river and eat our bocadillas.
Saturday night was the the big game - Sevilla v. Betis. Sevilla is better this year so it seems like most peope prefer Sevilla, but there are a fair number of Betis fans. The city goes crazy over soccer games. Its about a 7 minute walk to the stadium from out apartment so we can hear people screamig when there is a goal. It reminds me a little bit of Quidditch because people walk around wearing scarfs supporting their team. Betis ended up winning (UPSET!) so there probably wasn't as much celebrating as there would have been if things had gone the other way. We ended up back at coffee corner again that night after not being let into a discoteca called Siddhartha. The guy at the door was a total JERK who asked to see ID and then wouldn't accept it when it was photocopied. aka - he's jealous that he's not a cute American girl. powertrip!
Monday was Roque's birthday! This means one thing: torta de queso...cheesecake!! AHH! The cheesecake Mercedes makes is the most delicious cheesecake I have ever had. Its a lot lighter than cheesecake in the US and it has kiwi and strawberries and deliciousness. We didn't sing happy birthday though. There wasn't actually that much recognition that it was his birthday. Maybe birthdays aren't that big over here? Or maybe I'm just used to my mom making us wear crowns every time its your birthday (shout out: hey mom!)
Tuesday night we went out to Calle Betis. All the Spanish students are finally done with exams so it seemed like there was more people out.
Wednesday! - The day of 2 very important games.
Game 1: England vs. Spain
The important thing here is that its Country vs. Country. I'm used to games being divisions within Spain. This game meant that all of Spain (who were enemies just a couple nights ago when Sevilla played Betis) is now rallied agaisnt all of England. England = DAVID BECKHAM!! The partying started long before the game. People were in the streets drinking at about 3 pm. All the news reports kept saying "We hope to not have any incidents this year..." Things get pretty out of hand when countries play each other because England, Ireland and Germany all really like to drink. So we ventured out to a bar right next to the stadium to watch the game. There were a lot of English people here for the game, including one who decided to be generos and buy everyone drinks. Side note: did you guys know that David Beckham is not actually THAT good at soccer? Don't get me wrong, he's not bad...but he's not a super star. Teams just want him cause of his name, and his looks. Who knew!?! Spain ended up winning 2-0. The streets were soon flooded with lots of really angry English people. It was amazing.
Game 2:
UNC v. Dook
I wasn't actually at the game, or able to watch it, BUT WE WON!!! We were the first team in 9 years to make it into double digits when beating Dook. What a bunch of losers! I hate them even across the Atlantic. Everyone rushed Franklin Street and we now have bragging rights at least for another couple of weeks until we play them again. I can't believe March Madness is coming up soon...
I'm going to Gibraltar this weekend! I'm really excited, I can't wait to play with some monkeys!
I promise I'll start updating more frequently so I won't have such loooong updates.
GO HEELS!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment